Turkey Caprese Sandwich
- Ciabatta roll, split
- Olive oil
- 1 thin turkey cutlet
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Mozzarella, thickly sliced
- Tomato, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Brush split roll with oil and toast on grill. Season turkey with salt and pepper, brush with oil, and grill until cooked through. Layer mozzarella, tomato, and turkey on bottom half of roll; add basil. Sandwich with top half of roll.
California Veggie Sandwich
- 1/4 red onion
- Red-wine vinegar
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- Fresh goat cheese
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Sliced avocado
- Carrot, grated
- Radish, grated
- Sprinkle onion slices with a few dashes red-wine vinegar; let sit 10 minutes. Lightly toast bread. Spread 1 slice with goat cheese and layer with cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, onions, avocado, and grated carrot and radish. Top with other slice bread.
Beef Tenderloin Sandwiches with Herb Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 center-cut beef tenderloin (2 pounds), trimmed of excess fat, tied
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 to 10 cloves Roasted Garlic
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 baguette, halved horizontally and cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- 2 cups watercress, preferably baby
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Generously season beef with salt and pepper. Add to skillet, and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer skillet to oven.
- Roast until beef registers 130 for medium-rare, 20 to 25 minutes. Let beef stand for 20 minutes. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Meanwhile, mash garlic with a fork in a small bowl. Stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. (Garlic-herb mayonnaise can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.)
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise onto each bread slice. Top with beef. Just before serving, add watercress. Season with salt and pepper.
Tuna Nicoise Sandwich
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans oil-packed tuna (6 ounces each), drained
- 1/4 English cucumber
- 1/2 small red onion
- 8 inch country style round bread loaf
- 3 tablespoons jarred olive tapenade
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 hard-cooked large eggs
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, white-wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard; season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Transfer 2 tablespoons dressing to another bowl; toss with tuna. To remaining dressing, add cucumber and red onion; toss to combine.
- Cut an 8-inch country-style round bread loaf in half horizontally; remove most of soft interior bread. Spread 3 tablespoons jarred olive tapenade on bottom half. Top with 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, then 2 hard-cooked large eggs sliced; season with salt and pepper. Top with tuna, then cucumber mixture, and close sandwich.
- Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic and place between two baking sheets. Weight with a heavy skillet. Let stand 1 hour (or refrigerate, up to overnight). To serve, cut into quarters.