Makes 6 to 8 servings.
2 lbs. wild Alaskan halibut, thawed or fresh
1/2 c. each finely chopped onion, green pepper, celery, and carrot
6 tbsp. butter
3 c. chicken stock
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
2 c. milk
3 tbsp. flour
2 1/2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. minced parsley
- Remove skin and bones from halibut; cut into bite sized pieces.
- Saute veggies in 3 tablespoons butter.
- Add halibut, bouillon, salt, and pepper. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Add milk and heat gently. Combine remaining 3 tablespoons butter with flour; add to chowder.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with parsley.